Sunday, April 24, 2011

It started with a Sterling Ringmaster JR.

In 2009 my son and daughter in-law gave me a gift certificate to start building and flying model airplanes again.  It had been a very long time since I had done anything like that and I was thrilled. 
My first interaction with u-control model airplanes was watching my brothers fly them.  It was the late sixties I was young and fascinated by the whole process.  Somehow I got a hold of a Sterling Ringmaster JR kit and I went to work.  Monokote was the new thing and I used it to cover the wing.  It was a semi transparent orange wing with a black fuselage; it was very fitting for Halloween.  After getting the plane assembled, engine attached and everything ready to go, my brothers weren’t around to help me fly it.  I couldn’t wait, so I got my parents to take me over to the University Stadium parking lot to give it a try.  I didn’t have a clue on what I was doing, I could only try and mimic what I had seen my brothers do many times before.  Somehow the “Chicken Stick” and I were successful in starting the Fox 0.15 engine and before I knew it I was on.
It was late in the fall, the days were getting a little shorter and the sun was going down.  As I ran out to the middle of the circle, I was nervous and excited.  After the plane took off I realized I had three potential problems.  With every circle the plane flew directly through the setting sun, it was hard to see afterwards, so there were a few seconds of confusion with each pass as my eyes tried to adjust.  Then I started to get dizzy, I wasn’t prepared to spin around in circles.  Then I realized I didn’t know how to land this thing, so I just held on and waited.  Luckily the gas ran out before I fell over from being dizzy and I was able to guide that little plane down to the asphalt parking lot.  The landing was a little harder than I would have liked and the propeller was positioned in a way that made it a landing casualty.
I stood there in shock, shaking with excitement.  I was hooked for life.  I didn’t have another prop so our little adventure for the day ended with relatively little damage to my Sterling Ringmaster JR. 
Many planes were sacrificed, but the thrill never got old.  I loved the building, the flying and the smell of burnt model airplane fuel.  Life got in the way, but I’m determined to recapture some of that fun with my children and grandchildren in the future. 
If you have a love for u-control airplanes, or think you would, I invite you to participate in this discussion.  Perhaps we can all learn something and enjoy the journey with those we love.

5 comments:

  1. I became "RE-connected" with U-Control planes in 2003 after a 35 year hiatus. It all started sometime in late 1944 when I began my life's passionate odyssey with model planes at the tender age of 5. Watching my cousin construct a Comet rubber-job and eventually flying it was like magic. Soon, I received a birthday present of a Comet Phantom Flash kit, it seemed it must have taken me forever to build (a week or two )...The big day arrived and I flung 'the Flash' off the front porch of my parent's home...It glided across our small front yard and landed in the grass..I was hooked !!!!

    Nearly 70 years later I'm still 'hooked' on model planes and have participated in just about every aspect of the hobby. I've been a member of the AMA since the early 50's- I am now a leader member..I've been a member and later Captain of the 1962 US ARMY control line model competition team-Pacific..we beat the pants off the Air Force, Navy & Marines during my tenure.

    After my military hitch, I returned to University studies which slowed my model building somewhat. After graduation and marriage to my college sweetie I picked up the handle again and began catching up on model flying...Combat-slow & fast, 40 Rat Racing and Stunt competition flying... I won a few contest and lost a lot..but I was having loads of fun REGARDLESS !! In 1974 I drifted into RC full time and soon was involved in FAI & AMA contest flying and soon after was appointed as an AMA Leader Member..I felt if there were something missing which I could not put my finger on..

    Late 2003 I was competiing at a RC Fun Fly and a fellow showed up with a diesel powered Flite Streak, he asked me to help him since I had past experience...The smell of the burnt diesel fuel and the simplicity of the tethered flight once again sunk it's fangs into me...I've now gone full circle and have returned to flying Control Line with a passion and loving it intensley..I've since ferreted out several old time and new Control Line flyers in my area and have gotten my RC-infected son RE-involved with flying U-Control and he recently remarked that he is having more fun now than he ever has. He & I have gotten his 3 daughters involved with model planes..you should see the grins on their faces !!

    I've been an AMA District VIII Associate Vice President for over 10 years and I am having tremendous fun--- Let's Go Flying !!

    Jim Marshall
    Academy of Model Aeronautics
    AMA Disctrict VIII
    Deep So. Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been flying control line since 1972. I flew fast combat for many years but retired from that and am now learning the stunt pattern for OTS. It is quite a step down but still a lot of fun. It's just very, very slow. I currently have 2 S-1 Ringmasters, one Magician, one Super Clown, one Fancher modified Twister, one Super Fly for racing and one Sig Sky Ray. It's hard to find someone to fly with in this area but I still have a great time with my planes.

    Chuck Ford
    AMA 961475
    Webster, Texas 77598

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a very occasional CL guy. Found your page while looking for paint jobs. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got pulled back into the whole subject while researching batteries and came across the old Burgess we use to use for the glow plugs. Started looking around and the memories just flourished. What a great time as a kid in a small country town, starting with a 1/2 A and eventually up to my Ringmaster and K&B 35, although our club had a pulse jet too that was exciting to watch fly. Really enjoy the comments and now near retirement wondering if I could walk in circles without getting dizzy - as I recall it took some practice, but eventually it was not a problem. I remember the building, maiden flights, crashes, repairs and even a flying wing made from scratch plans, silk cover, strong and fast as heck both speed-wise and performance wise. What great times - great option for post-retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - I'm glad there the great memories happen to others as they remember and participate again in the fun of CL planes!!

      Thanks for your comments.

      Delete